A special birthday cake is brought into the room, the candles are lit, and “Happy Birthday to you” is sung. This moment is the highlight of the party and the symbolic event of many birthdays. When planning a birthday party, choosing the cake is probably one of the most important tasks. Whether you use a designer or buy without a recipe, it’s a good start to pick an idea and learn about current trends.
Unique birthday cake designs
Happy Birthday, Jack! A classic birthday cake with flowers and the words “Happy 60th Birthday, Gwen” is always acceptable, especially if it comes in an attractive color or favorite flavor. However, decorators can also come up with unique and extravagant designs. Today, four formats are the most common. Please consider them for your next party.
- A themed arrangement of icing and non-edible characters – for example, for ice hockey fans, an ice hockey field with ice hockey players, and an ice hockey net on the surface.
- Cakes in molds with popular designs like flowers, hearts, or Mickey Mouse heads.
- Three-dimensional sculptures – for example, a cake in the shape of a train or a princess made of Barbie dolls wearing a sumptuous cake dress.
- Vertically tiered cakes or unusually shaped cakes with only one side. Colorful gift boxes, surrounded by fondant, stacked and decorated with colorful ribbons, etc.
Birthday cakes for kids
If you’re planning a birthday party for your child and want to serve them an exciting cake they’ll remember years later. Order a design inspired by a hobby, favorite toy, pet, imaginary character, or cartoon. Here are some ideas
- A puppy figurine.
- A jungle scene with plants and animals like monkeys, giraffes, and tigers.
- Bert, Ernie, and Cookie monster figurines to recreate a scene from a popular TV show like “Sesame Street”. Birthday cake decorations can be used as party favors. Adorned with Sesame Street decorations, each child can take home a Sesame Street figurine.
- A jeweled crown
- footballs, dance shoes, or anything else that catches your child’s interest.
As you can see, the possibilities are endless. The only problem is that once they eat one, they may never be satisfied with a regular cake again.
Adult Birthday Cakes
Adults love original cakes too. While kids often settle for chocolate, vanilla or marbled flavors, adults are drawn to options like
- Red velvet.
- Strawberry or Strawberry cupcake
There are also toppings in a variety of flavors, including cherry, chocolate mousse, traditional buttercream, raspberry gelato, cream cheese frosting, and lemon. Some people are particularly picky about taste, so you’ll want to choose a flavor that your guest of honor will enjoy.
Many adults will be delighted if you tailor it to their age. Table paintings and sculptures have the advantage that you do not need to indicate the number. On the other hand, it is possible and sometimes desirable to indicate particular years like 30, 50, or 65. The special number can be part of the garland and not be on the cake.
Adults like sculptures and pictures on the cake. For example, how would you decorate an adult birthday cake?
- A farm scene with fields, a sky, and a farmer and his farm tools as a topper.
- A cake in the shape of a musical symbol, such as a guitar, treble clef or drum set, or a scene with characters from your favorite music stars; or
- A hobby theme that reflects your favorite sport or hobby, such as animal sculptures for animal lovers or toolboxes for DIYers.
Find more birthday cake ideas
To continue looking for the best birthday cakes designs.
- You can look online for photos of professional and amateur bakers.
- You can browse recent magazines and books.
- Visit some bakeries and look at the cakes on display.
- Take photos and ideas with you to meet the designers who create custom cakes.
Delicious cakes and original decorations show everyone how much you care.