An essay in English is a short, structured essay and essay in English in which you express your point of view on a given topic.
The structure of the essay in English
How many words should there be in an English essay? Each exam has a minimum and maximum amount of written work. Typically, the assignment involves essay writing with a length of 180 to 320 words. If you are going to take an English test, we recommend that you clarify the required amount of written work in advance and practice writing the text of the appropriate length.
The structure of the essay in English is universal for all exams. Written work consists of the following parts:
- Title – the title of the essay, reflecting the theme of the story.
- Introduction – 2-4 short sentences covering the topic of the essay.
- The main part – 2-3 paragraphs describing the essence of the essay. Each of the paragraphs in the main body of the essay begins with an introductory sentence (topic sentence). The following sentences develop and confirm the idea expressed in the topic sentence.
- Conclusion – 2-4 sentences summarizing what was written. In this part, you draw a general conclusion on the topic of the essay.
Types of essays in English and their features
The kind of English essay you need to write depends on the topic you are trying to write. Virginia Evans, the author of Successful Writing, identifies three types of essays.
1. For and against essays (essays with arguments for and against)
The name speaks for itself: you are making arguments for and against a certain phenomenon. In this type of essay, stick to the following plan:
- Introduction. In it, you lead the reader to the topic of discussion.
- Main part. You give arguments for and against an action or phenomenon, and you do not need to express your point of view.
- Conclusion. Here you express your attitude to the topic and make a conclusion.
2. Opinion essays
In opinion essays, you need to not only reflect your point of view but also look at the proposed topic from different angles. Consider all aspects of the question, write your opinion and be sure to back it up with arguments.
Outline of an essay-opinion in English:
- Introduction. You indicate the topic of reasoning.
- Main part. You express your opinion and give reasons for it. Here it is desirable to consider the opinion opposite to yours, as well as explain why you do not share this point of view.
- Conclusion. You summarize, finally formulating your point of view on the proposed topic.
3. Suggesting solutions to problem essays
In this type of written work, you will be asked to consider a global problem. Your task is to propose solutions.
The outline of this type of essay is as follows:
- Introduction. You indicate the problem and its cause or effect.
- Main part. You suggest ways to solve the problem and the possible consequences of such actions. Be clear about why the action should be taken and what it will entail.
- Conclusion. Summarize your reasoning.
You may write your essay on your own or you may buy essay papers online too.